Thursday, April 30, 2015

"Favorite" Piece of Literature

When thinking of a “favorite” of mine, I always have trouble. Can someone really have one thing that they like above all else? Personally speaking, I do not think so. Though I do think that one can have a collection of favorites. One of my personal favorite pieces of literature that we read this year was The Death of a Moth. Although extremely odd, this piece was very intriguing. While reading it the first time, I felt uncomfortable; it made me squirm and my skin crawl, but after further analyzing and in-class discussion, I found it to be very different—in a good way. The darkness of the subject, along with the sadistic words, was very good at catching my attention and keeping it throughout the entire piece. The way it was written was also extremely descriptive; I felt as though I was actually there, staring at a moth struggle for its life in front of my eyes. Being very interested in psychology, reading such sick and twisted stories such as these, that definitely indicate some sort of problem in the writer, intrigue me greatly. While reading the story, I was not only trying to analyze what the writer was saying, but I was also trying to analyze the reader. The fact that a short story had such a big effect on me and my thoughts is what makes it one of my favorites. It made me think more than any other story I have ever read and that is what I love most about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment