Sunday, August 10, 2014

TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY


From all the books I have read in the past, Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher would be considered my favorite. No matter how many times I have read it, this book always left me insatiable; I finished it within a day or two, ripping through the pages because I could never get enough. Thirteen Reasons Why is in Clay Jensen’s point of view from the beginning to the end. One day, he receives a package with thirteen tapes in it; each tape telling a story of a person that took part in Hannah Baker’s decision to commit suicide. Tape #1 is a story of the person with the least amount of impact on her decision, and tape #13 is a story of the person with the biggest impact on her decision. As I read through Clay’s thoughts during the tapes, I could not help but think exactly the same things as him; why is Clay in these tapes? What could he have done to Hannah to have an impact on her decision of killing herself? Who does tape #13 talk about?

Although it is a dark overall subject, this story had me hooked from the start. The thrilling and suspenseful storyline pushed me to keep reading until I knew all the answers to my questions. The ending is probably the main reason of my addiction to this book, being an open ending. In my head, I probably think that if I keep re-reading the story, it will end in a different way, but in reality, the author wrote the book in a way that the reader needs to come up with their own ending.

People might wonder why I would want to voluntarily read a book about suicide, but it is much more than that. While reading the tapes in the book, it is as if you can feel the anger, heartbreaking sadness, and the betrayal Hannah feels; the author wrote this in a way that even the readers can feel her pain. For me, a book that is able to put me in such an emotional state and into the characters shoes so perfectly is the best kind of book. And that is why it is my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment